AZN747

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
查看: 11165|回复: 30

Where can i learn Mandarin?

[复制链接]
发表于 2022-4-16 23:00:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
hi guys, does anyone know where i can learn mandarin or where i can find language exchange programs that run in toronto or GTA? Little bit of background info, im CBC so i never really learned chinese as a kid, i was too stubborn to go through with it and i regret it now.  I can speak cantonese basically fluently and i did learn basic mandarin like pinyin when i was in university but i never took it seriously.  Now im starting to notice how useful mandarin is, whether its for work or hobbying XD and i want to pick it up again.

I remember seeing a website where people do gatherings around toronto and just do language exhange or u would pay a small fee and the tutor would take you around toronto and you would talk in mandarin for a weekend but i cant seem to find it anymore or maybe its not even running anymore because of covid.  Either way, if anyone knows of any programs like this i would appreciate it.  Or better yet, how did you guys learn a language? any tips or suggestions?

Id prefer not to pay a lot of money to learn in a classroom setting, i tried that and i feel like i dont learn that way, its not engaging enough for me.

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-16 23:12:41 | 显示全部楼层
Perhaps watch some mandarin tv shows from either mainland or Taiwan?

Date a girl who speaks mandarin? Sorry for not being particularly helpful lol
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-17 06:58:22 | 显示全部楼层
Duolingo as a start to get the basics maybe? Or just hang out in downtown chinatown and you would be able to pickup things here and there I suppose
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-17 07:36:24 | 显示全部楼层
Dating a Chinese GF might be a good choice, but I think the main part is getting a environment where you are surrounded by group of Chinese friend , that way you learn mandarin faster..
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-17 08:45:09 | 显示全部楼层
你去网上找language exchange ,就是有人找你学英文,然后你找他们学中文。 这样,不要钱的
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-18 01:44:14 | 显示全部楼层
honestly.. same thing with another dude trying to learn English... find a buddy who speaks it.. and learn from him/her.. or a GF as someone says.. go to a place that speaks mostly Chinese and try to pick it up... I would also watch some Chinese shows every day.. and turn on the subs.. and read the subs while you listen.. that way you know wtf they are saying...

here is how I learnt it.. altho I am not a CBC, but I came here pretty young and I was FORCED to go to chinese school back in the day.. so I don't doubt I have a better Chinese base then you.. BUT... here is how I learned it since you have some Cantonese base...

Find a chinese friend... whenever you write something in English.. try to translate it into Chinese... you can do this by using Google Translate... now by this.. I don't mean to copy and paste the entire thing into Google Translate... that's cheating.. try to only Google Translate words or phrases you don't know.... the google translate is not really to help you translate the document.. its for you to learn the PINYIN of new words or phrases... and you remember those pinyin.. by that I mean how to say it.. In Google Translate not only does it give the Chinese words.. it also have the PINYIN annunciations of the phrases of words...

Now.. you go to that Chinese friend.. and try to read the chinese translated document to him/her.. and have him/her critique you on your pronouciation... and over time.. you should build some repository vocabulary.. and with more practice and watching TV/shows.. you can become fluent...

and that's how I learnt it.. sooooo many times I go to see Mandarin speaking folks.. the first few sentence now.. they don't even think I am a Konger.. they think I am someone from inner parts of China (where they Mandarin pronouciation is really bad anyway). In a way.. its a compliment because my Mandarin is not "Konger-bad" but "China-bad"...
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-18 14:13:04 | 显示全部楼层
我用听歌/KTV来学中文
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2022-4-18 15:21:49 | 显示全部楼层
Prince6969 发表于 2022-4-18 01:44
honestly.. same thing with another dude trying to learn English... find a buddy who speaks it.. and  ...

ive been doing that with reviews everyone posts here in chinese, it certainly has helped a lot and i can read a lot more than before i came to this forum.  But..... i dont think i should show these reviews to my friends rofl.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-18 22:52:45 | 显示全部楼层
Listen to mandarin songs,  watch mandarin dramas and pay close attention to the sub,  or get a mandarin speaking girl friend.  I came to Canada when I was hand carry to the plane.  I can speak fluent canto and mando as well.  
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2022-4-22 10:25:33 | 显示全部楼层
Lotusroot 发表于 2022-4-18 15:21
ive been doing that with reviews everyone posts here in chinese, it certainly has helped a lot and ...

lol.. then write something that you won't mind sharing... lol...
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

AZN747

GMT-5, 2024-3-29 05:59 , Processed in 0.069346 second(s), 13 queries .